Love is universal and there are many stories in history which tells tale of some unforgettable couple and one such couple is Mughal Emperor, Shah Jahan and his wife, Mumtaz Begum. The symbol of their love is the beautiful Taj Mahal in Agra. This architectural masterpiece is a symbol of artistic talent coupled with incomparable love and is one of the main tourist attractions in India. But many don’t have enough information about it, so here I give you 11 amazing facts about Taj Mahal Agra:
11 Amazing, Mind Blowing and Interesting Facts About Taj Mahal Agra
1. Taj Mahal or Mumtaz Mahal was built by Shah Jahan in memory of his wife, Mumtaz Begum after her death and the tombstone can be found in the centre of the masterpiece.
2. The story of Shah Jahan amputating the artisans hands might be a myth, as the Taj Mahal was built by same architects who later built the Red Fort.
3. Taj is one of the Seven Wonders of the World and it has about 12,000 visitors coming to see it every day.
4. Inside Taj Mahal, you can find a small hole on the ceiling of the main hall, above the tomb of Mumtaz Begum. The artisan is said to have kept that in order to spoil the perfection of the masterpiece because he got to know that Shah Jahan was going to cut the artisans hands after the Taj was built.
5. A common known fact about Taj Mahal Agra is that a con-man named Natwarlal conned several people into buying the Taj Mahal repeatedly and has done the same with various other monuments.
6. The interior of the Taj is made of 28 different kind of precious and semi-precious stones in its inlay work. The stones were procured from China, Sri Lanka, Tibet and various places in India.
7. Building Taj was a costly endeavor for Shah Jahan, as he spent about 32 million rupees from 1632-1653 and this money is about 1,062,834,098 USD.
8. Similar to David Copperfield’s vanishing the statue of liberty, an Indian magician PC Sorkar Jr created an optical illusion that made Taj vanish.
9. Shah Jahan wanted to build a black Taj Mahal opposite to the current one, on the other side of the river and he wanted this to be his tomb.
10. George Harrison was the first person to click a selfie with the Taj.
11. Another fact about Taj Mahal Agra is that it changes colours, in the morning it is pinkish, and in the evening it is white and at night when the moon shines it appears golden.
Hope you liked these facts about Taj Mahal Agra!
Article Title: 11 Amazing, Mind Blowing and Interesting Facts About Taj Mahal Agra
Article first published on January 28, 2017.