Saina Nehwal became the talk of the town after her back to back successful victories in the field of badminton. Today, she is ranked amongst the top shuttlers in the world by the Badminton World Federation.
Born in 1990, she is the second daughter of Harvir Singh and Usha Rani. She was born in Hisar and completed few years of her schooling there. Later, her family shifted to Hyderabad, and then began the story of the badminton champion in the city of Nawabs. In 2006, Saina bagged the under 19 national championship award in badminton. Below are some more interesting facts about Saina Nehwal.
12 Interesting and Unknown Facts About Saina Nehwal
1. She is considered to be the most successful female sportsperson from India. She has already been accredited with the Padma Bhushan. Apart from this, she has also bagged the Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna and Arjuna Award.
2. Before entering in the field of badminton, she was an ace karate champion. She owns a brown belt in karate.
3. She is the first Indian Badminton player to win an Olympics medal. She bagged the bronze medal in London Olympics in the year, 2012.
4. She hails from a sports family, as her parents have also been badminton champions in Haryana.
5. When she began her career in badminton, she was coached by SM Arif – who himself is a Dronacharya Award winner. Later, she began her coaching under P. Gopichand. She was under his guidance until 2014 and currently she is being trained by U. Vimal Kumar – former Badminton champion and National coach.
6. Apart from representing India in big championships, Saina Nehwal also represents her city, Hyderabad in the Indian Badminton League.
7. Saina Nehwal’s elder sister, Anshu Nehwal is a model.
8. This female sportsperson has created history by being the first Indian woman to take the first place in the Badminton World Federation ranking in the category of women’s single.
9. She not only holds honorable Indian accreditation on her name, but owns 12 other international titles as well.
10. In 2006, Saina successfully bagged the title of being the youngest badminton player from Asia, after winning the Philippines Open – a 4-star tournament.
11. She is the first woman badminton player to win the Asian Satellite Badminton Tournament twice.
12. An interesting fact about Saina Nehwal is that she was so serious about her career that she skipped her intermediate examinations twice.
Article Title: 12 Interesting and Unknown Facts About Saina Nehwal
Article first published on February 1, 2017.