Mumbai, one of the largest cities in India and around the world. The city is also a popular travel destination, entertainment capital, financial capital and cultural destination of India. But a few things have changed the city of Mumbai, and Mumbai Riots 1992-1993 was one of them.
In this article, we have compiled a list of lesser known, and important facts about Mumbai Riots.
9 Lesser Known Facts About Mumbai Riots
1. Exact Months of Mumbai Riots
Mumbai Riots or Bombay Riots were take place in December, 1992 and January 1993.
2. How Many People Killed in Bombay Riots
According to the report, about 900 people was killed or died in Mumbai Riots or Bombay Riots 1992-1993.
3. Orchestrated by the Shiv Sena
According to Wikipedia citation, the riots and violence was orchestrated by the Shiv Sena, a Hindu-nationalist political party in Maharashtra.
4. Investigation Commission
To give punishment to the culprits and criminals, an investigation commission was formed under the Justice B N Srikrishna.
5. What Were The Immediate Causes for Mumbai Riots or Bombay Riots
Mumbai Riots or Bombay Riots 1992-1993 were planned, according to many scholars in India. However, the following were the major causes for violence.
- The demolition of Babri Masjid
- The aggravation of Muslim sentiments by the Hindus with their celebration rallies
- The insensitive and harsh approach of the police while handling the protesting mobs which initially were not violent.
6. Total Number of Deaths
Many innocent people have been killed in this riot. Total number of deaths in Bombay Riots 1992-1993 or Mumbai Riots 1992-1993 is given below.
- Total Persons Killed – 900 (275 Hindus, 575 Muslims, 45 and 5 Others)
The causes for the deaths are also given below.
- Arson – 91
- Mob Action – 80
- Police Firing – 356
- Private Firing – 22
- Stabbing – 347
- Other Causes – 4
7. Only 3 Convictions Happened Till Date in Mumbai Riots
It is true that only three convictions happened in the 1992-1993 Bombay riots court cases. Former Shiv Sena MP Madhukar Sarpotdar was convicted in Bombay Riots case and sent for one year’s rigorous imprisonment in connection with the riots. However, he was immediately granted bail and also died on February 20, 2010. He didn’t served his sentence.
8. Many Popular Movies Based on Bombay Riots 1992-1993
Till date, a good number of movies were created based on Mumbai Riots 1992-1993. A full list is given below.
- Bombay (1995)
- Fiza (2000)
- Black Friday (2004)
- Striker (2010)
- Shahid (2013)
9. Important Dates of Mumbai Riots 1992-1993
The riots were took place between December 6, 1992 and January 26, 1993.
Read Also: Interesting Facts About Mumbai City
Article Title: 9 Lesser Known Facts About Mumbai Riots
Article first published on July 16, 2016.