Indian is a beautiful country with 29 states and the state of Madhya Pradesh is called ‘the heart of India’ because of its geographical location. This amazing state is testament to the rich history and culture of India. The unique attractions provided by this state have made it a great tourist attraction but there is still much you don’t know about Madhya Pradesh. So, here I give you 11 important and interesting facts about Madhya Pradesh:
11 Important and Interesting Facts About Madhya Pradesh
1. The state symbol of Madhya Pradesh are:
- Animal – Barahsingha
- Bird – Dudhraj
- Fruit – Mango
- Flower – White Lily
2. Bhopal is the capital of Madhya Pradesh and Hindi is its official language.
3. Madhya Pradesh is India’s second largest state by size, as it covers the area of 3,08,346 Sq Km and 5th largest by population.
4. One of Madhya Pradesh’s famous cities is Ujjain. Ujjain is known as ‘The City of Temples’ because of the various monuments it houses and it is also one of the four places where the Kumbh Mela is hosted.
5. This state is home to the famous Khajuraho temples. This unique architectural and historic site has a great number of temples including the Kandariya Mahadeva Temple, which is known for its beautiful sculptures.
6. Many famous personalities like freedom fighter – Chandra Shekhar Azad, children rights activist – Kailash Satyarthi, singers Kishore Kumar, Lata Mangeshkar, actor Arjun Rampal, actress Jaya Bachhan (Bhaduri) and many more others hail from Madhya Pradesh.
7. Most unknown fact about Madhya Pradesh is that among all the Indian states, it has the largest strength of tribal. A few of main tribal groups are Baiga, Korku, Bhadia, Sahariya, Bhil and Gond. This makes Madhya Pradesh a great place for experiencing a range of cultures, cuisines and dances.
8. Madhya Pradesh’s tourist capital is Gwalior. This historic city is full of monuments, forts, museums and the Patankar bazaar, which gives its visitors a great selection of handicrafts, wall hanging, dolls, artificial jewellery etc.
9. Much ignored fact about Madhya Pradesh is that it also houses a great number of non- Hindu monuments such as the Buddhist Stupas at Sanchi, the Chhatris at Orchha, Baaz Bahadur’s Palace and many more.
10. A well-known fact about Madhya Pradesh is its unique and delicious cuisines, which includes Kusli, lavanglata, Jalebi, indori puripalakki, baflas, biryani, kebabs and lavanglata.
11. Another interesting fact about Madhya Pradesh is its flora and fauna, with its 9 national parks, a number of natural preserves as well as three of the 18 biosphere reserves in India.
Hope these enlightening facts about Madhya Pradesh entertained you!
Read Also: Facts About Haryana
Article Title: 11 Important and Interesting Facts About Madhya Pradesh
Article first published on February 10, 2017.