Introduction about Lalu Prasad Yadav
Lalu Prasad Yadav is a popular politician in India. He comes from the state of Bihar. From 1990 to 1997, Lalu Prasad Yadav was the Chief Minister of Bihar. He also worked as the Minister of Railways from 2004 to 2009 for UPA government. Lalu Prasad Yadav is the president of the political party Rashtriya Janata Dal. Lalu was the 15 th Lok Sabha’s Member of Parliament from the Saran constituency.
When he was the Chief Minister of Bihar, he was well known for his political rallies. There are some interesting Facts about Lalu Prasad Yadav to know. Here are the interesting facts,
1. While studying in the Patna University, Lalu entered in politics. During his time in the pariliament, he was the youngest member of the Parliament. Lalu Prasad Yadav was elected to the Lower House in 1997 when he was only 29.
2. Lalu was elected as the President of Patna University Students Union during his college days. He became the president of PUSU in 1973. Also in 1970, Lalu became the General Secretary of PUSU.
3. One of the interesting Facts about Lalu Prasad Yadav is he did his MA in Political Science. A lot many people think that Lalu is not well educated, however, proving all of them wrong, he has double degree to his name.
4. A movie named ‘Padmashree Lalu Prasad Yadav’ is released based on the auto-biography of Lalu. He did a guest performance in this movie. Through this, he appeared on the big screen as well.
5. When he was the Chief Minister of Bihar, Lalu got arrested for the Ram Mandir movement. He also consolidated the Muslim Vote Bank.
6. When he was the Railway Minister in 2004, Lalu did not focus on increasing the passenger’s fares, rather he concentrated more on other sources of revenue for the Railway department.
7. During the 2015 assembly election of Bihar, RJD became the biggest party. It has a total number of 81 seats. In that election, he had partnership with Nithish Kumar of Janatha Dal. In that election, Lalu and his partnership won the majority to form a government in Bihar.
8. Lalu Prasad Yadav was also granted the Supreme Court Bar Association Membership.
9. Lalu Prasad Yadav joined the JP movement in 1975 in Bihar and he was jailed at that time.
10. Lalu named his youngest daughter as Misa Bharati. This name was given to her on the basis of Maintenance of Internal Security ACT MISA. This is because Lalu was jailed during this emergency.
11. After he was selected as the Chief Minister of Bihar in 1990, he resigns his Chief Minister post relating to the 940 crore Fodder scam. After being arrested, he made his wife Rabri Devi as the Chief Minister of Bihar. But she was illiterate and faced strict criticism over the politicians and people in Bihar.
12. This Fodder scam creates a black mark in the political life of Lalu Prasad Yadav. It takes over 10 years for him to return back to his position in the politics.
Article Title: 12 Interesting and Lesser Known Facts About Lalu Prasad Yadav
Article first published on March 28, 2017.