India is a country which has varieties of culture, different castes and abundance of different spoken languages and music. But, there are some mind-blowing facts about Indian History which are sure to make us all go crazy.
12 Unknown, Interesting, and Mind Blowing Facts about Indian History
1. The title given to Mahatma Gandhi as ‘The Father of the Nation’ is not officially granted by the Government of India.
2. Ayurveda is said to be the earliest school of medicine which was originated in India by Charaka, who is known as the Father of Medicines.
3. Algebra, Calculus, Trigonometry, and also the Decimal and Place Value system was discovered in India.
4. Astronomer Bhaskaracharya, calculated the accurate time that the earth takes to revolve around the sun.
5. One of the most interesting fact about Indian history is that the art of navigation or say the word ‘navigation’ was derived from the Sanskrit word ‘Navgatih’ which was developed in river Indus around 6000 years back.
6. Gyandev, who was a poet in the 13th century, introduced the most preferred game for the children, known as ‘Snakes and Ladders’.
7. It’s amazing to know that India has the world’s largest postal network, with above 1 million post offices. And recently in 2011, a unique floating post office was inaugurated by the Government of India in Dal Lake, Srinagar.
8. The world’s first university was established in Takshila, India, in 700 BC. It had over 10500 students from across the world in order to seek education in 60 varied subjects. This was one of the applauding achievements of India in the knowledgeable field of education. Another achievement was in 4th century BC, when India established the University of Nalanda. This fact about Indian history was not known by many.
9. Harappan culture was established by the Indians in the Indus Valley Civilisation around 5000 years ago.
10. Nowhere in the books of Mahabharata, Bhagwat Gita or Ramayana, would you come across the word ‘Hindu’. It was the name given by the foreigners after the “Indus’ river, which Indians eventually turned into a religion.
11. Anaesthesia, Yoga and the game of chess was first introduced in India. Anaesthesia was performed in ancient India, Yoga by the sages and chess was played by the Maharajas.
12. Pakistan achieved Independence on 14th August and India on 15th August because Lord Mountbatten wished to attend both the ceremonies.
Being the citizens of India, we all should be aware of these lesser known fact about Indian history and I hope that reading this article has helped you know our Indian history a lot better.
Read Also: Interesting Facts about Indian Constitution
Article Title: 12 Unknown, Interesting, and Mind Blowing Facts about Indian History
Article first published on February 23, 2017.