Indian Constitution is a supreme book which states the rules and instructions that are to be followed by every individual for the better governance of India. In 1946, Constitution was drafted by the Constituent Assembly, which was legally enforced on 26 th January, 1950. Now, let’s talk about the Facts about Indian Constitution which undoubtedly many of us are unaware of:
10 Important, Unique, and Interesting Facts about Indian Constitution
1. The original copy of Constitution of India was written by Prem Behari Narain Raizada with his own hand in a beautifully scripted calligraphy style.
2. This handwritten copy was then signed by 284 members (including 15 women) of the Constituent Assembly on, 24th January, 1950.
3. In the helium filled case of the Parliament House’s library, the pioneer copies of Indian Constitution which are written in English and Hindi are kept safely.
4. While writing the Indian Constitution, an ample time of 2years, 11 months and 17 days were taken and it is believed that it is the longest constitution in the entire world. It is also considered as the best Constitution in the world and till date around 100 amendments have been made in our Constitution.
5. The Father of Indian Constitution Dr. B.R. Ambedkar was not only the 1 st law minister but also a reformer, economist as well as the chairman of the drafting committee.
6. Before finalising the constitution more than 2000 amendments were made to it, when it was put for discussion and debate.
7. An interesting fact about Indian Constitution is that, when the constitution was finally signed and approved, it was raining heavily outside the Parliament House, which was considered as a good omen by the members of the Assembly.
8. Our Constitution’s Fundamental Rights were taken from the Constitution of America, and now only 9 Fundamental Rights are recognised as the basic rights for all Indian citizens. You would be amazed to know one of the facts about Indian Constitution and that is, earlier ‘Right to Property’ was included in the fundamental right which was later deleted on 1978 in the 44 Th Amendment Act.
9. The concept of Directive Principles and Five Year Plans were adopted from Ireland and USSR respectively.
10. In our Preamble, the ideals of ‘Equality, Fraternity and Equality’ and “We the people” were inspired from the French Revolution and USA respectively.
Interesting, isn’t it? Knowing the unknown facts about Indian Constitution is the right of every Indian citizen, so let’s all open our minds and grab these important and unique facts about our Constitution.
Read Also: Interesting Facts About Indian Culture
Article Title: 10 Important, Unique, and Interesting Facts about Indian Constitution
Article first published on February 20, 2017.