India is a country full of diversities with more than 122 spoken languages and numerous cultures as well as religions but this diverse population shares its love for cricket like no other. Many other sports like hockey, wrestling, football etc. are played in India but cricket is a sport that is dear to almost every Indian’s heart. So here I give you 11 Interesting and Amazing Facts about Cricket in India:
11 Interesting and Amazing Facts About Cricket in India
1. Cricket was played for the first time in India in the year 1848. This was almost 168 years ago, making cricket one of the oldest sports to be played in India.
2. An unknown fact about cricket in India is that the Indian cricket team became the only team in cricket history, to lose all its wickets twice in a day of test match. This incident took place in 1952, when India played against England at Old Trafford
3. Indian Cricket team’s former captain Mahendra Singh Dhoni is the first cricket team captain to hold all the three major trophies, namely the ICC World Twenty 20 (2007), the Champions trophy (2015) and ICC Cricket World Cup (2011).
4. In his entire Ranji Trophy cricketing career, the god of cricket – Sachin Tendulkar lost his wicket for a duck only once and the bowler to accomplish this almost impossible task is Bhuvneshwar Kumar.
5. Thrice in his whole Test cricketing career, Sunil Gavaskar lost his wicket on the first ball.
6. Australia’s great Sir Don Bradman was stumped only once in his career and this was done by Probir Sen of India.
7. 20-over world cup, 50-over world cup and 60-over world cup were won by India in 2007, 2011 and 1983 respectively, making it the only nation to do so.
8. 21 consecutive maiden overs were bowled by Indian spinner Bapu Nadkarni against England on 12th January 1964 at Chennai.
9. The former Indian team captain Sourav Ganguly is the most successful captain and he reinforced this title by creating history as he is the only player to win four consecutive ODI ‘Man of the Match’ awards.
10. India has successfully chased 300+ targets five times after Virat Kohli’s debut
11. Other than Sachin Tendulkar, 23 other cricketers made their International debuts in 1989 and Sachin is the last to retire among them, that too after more than 20 years of playing.
Read Also: Sachin Tendulkar Contact Number
Hope these facts about Cricket in India tickled your fancy!
Read Also: India Vs Pakistan Cricket Matches Facts
Article Title: 11 Interesting and Amazing Facts About Cricket in India
Article first published on February 6, 2017.