Chhattisgarh, one of the fastest developing states of India, was carved from Madhya Pradesh in the year 2000. The state is officially the 26th state of the India. Ever since its formation, the state has seen substantial growth with the help of its mineral resources, agriculture and electricity. Here are some interesting and unknown facts about Chhattisgarh, that are sure to take you by surprise.
10 General, Unknown and Interesting Facts About Chhattisgarh
1. Chhattisgarh is surrounded by seven other states of India.
2. The state is called the ‘Rice Bowl of India’ as it ranks number 1 in the production of the crop in the country.
3. Yet another important fact about Chhattisgarh is that it also ranks first in coal production
4. Chhattisgarh comprises of 11 wild life sanctuaries and 3 national parks making it one of the prominent eco state, as it contributes hugely to the flora and fauna of the country.
5. With regards to its population, Chhattisgarh has a high population of Scheduled Tribes. At least 50% of the population are constituted by SC / ST people.
6. Despite being one of the most backward area in India it is rich in minerals and mining activity and the economic improvements in the state has been brought about by the availability of mineral resources.
7. Another very interesting fact about Chhattisgarh is that it accounts for 70% of Tendu leaves production. These leaves are used to make ‘Bidis’.
8. Chhattisgarh houses the biggest market for steel in India. Raipur city the capital of Chhattisgarh is the center of the steel sector in the country. The BSP-Bhilai steel plant accounts for the 15% of the steel production in the country.
9. A beautiful fact about Chhattisgarh is the Chitrkot Waterfall, located in the Jagdalpur district, and on the river Indravati. This is the widest waterfall in India and due to its width during the monsoons it is often referred to as the Niagara Falls of India.
10. One of the amusing or rather interesting facts about Chhattisgarh is its ancient sculptures in the temples. Bhoramdeo temple of Kabirdham district is believed to have been built in the 11th Century by the Nagwanshi Kings. The sculptures are described to be erotic and hence it is called as the Khajuraho of Chhattisgarh.
The state is widely appreciated for a lot of policies for food and health that the State Government has passed in favour of its people. It certainly looks a state that is concerned in it’s people’s welfare!
Article Title: 10 General, Unknown and Interesting Facts About Chhattisgarh
Article first published on February 25, 2017.