Arunachal Pradesh is a beautiful tourist location that has stunning beauties of nature, fascinating culture and some mouth-watering cuisine. But many of us still remain unaware about this state and its facts. So, here I present you with 12 intersecting and important facts about Arunachal Pradesh:
12 Interesting and Important Facts About Arunachal Pradesh
1. Before Indian Independence, during the British period Arunachal Pradesh was known as North East Frontier Agency (NEFA). On 20 th January 1972, Late Sri Bibha Basu Das Shastri, then the director of research, renamed the state.
2. The North East states of India are known as the Seven Sister States of North East and geographically Arunachal Pradesh is the largest of them all.
3. One of the most interesting fact about Arunachal Pradesh is that it literally means “Land of Dawn-lit Mountains” in reference to the beautiful mountains found in the state. It is also known as Paradise of the Botanist or Orchid state of India
4. Arunachal Pradesh did not gain the title and rights of a state until 20th February 1987, before this it was declared as a union territory on 20th January 1972.
5. The primary driver of this state’s economy is agriculture and ‘Jhum’ (a kind of shifting cultivation) is the traditionally used method.
6. More than 30 languages like Wancho, Tagin, Dafia, etc. are spoken in Arunachal Pradesh but English is its official language.
7. This state is home to 20 major tribes and various sub tribes, with their own diverse cultures and traditions. This fact about Arunachal Pradesh has made it a famous tourist destination in India.
8. The history of Arunachal Pradesh can be traced back to the origins to the Tibeto-Burman people, like many North eastern states.
9. Arunachal is home to more than 200 species of mammals, thereby making it the region with the highest diversity of mammals in India.
10. Arunachal is highly guarded, so if you want to cross the Assam – Arunachal border you will need a special permit known as Inner Line Permits (ILP). When you are crossing the border you will have to show your permit at the checking gates.
11. Arunachal Pradesh has a number of religious monuments but the Tawang Monastery is the most famous. This 400 year old monastery is the largest monastery in India and second largest in the world.
12. The State symbols of Arunachal are
- State Tree – Hollong
- State Flower – Foxtail Orchid
- State Animal – Mithun
- State Bird – Hornbill
Hope you enjoyed these interesting facts about Arunachal Pradesh!
Article Title: 12 Interesting and Important Facts About Arunachal Pradesh
Article first published on January 29, 2017.